About the Club
In 1962 the cup of the amateur polo players in Detroit was full. The local team of the Beveridge brothers had won the U.S. Open in 1957, and teamed with others, had won it in 1954,1955 and1960. Their greatest fans were, of course, the other Detroit players.
The downside was that the fields belonged to the Ivory Polo Club, led by John F. Ivory and his high goal son, Jack. The fields were crowded and playing time was limited.
Merle Jenkins, attorney, Leonard Foley and Wendell Smith, businessmen, all horsemen, considered forming their own club. Stabling their horses at Klentner Riding Academy, in Union Lake, Harry Klentner volunteered his dirt field.
Yet the beautiful grass on about 10 acres down the street, looked better and with some convincing a gentleman's agreement was reached: “Not for rent. Not for sale. But if you’re just using it on weekends, we won’t be here and we won’t know what’s happening. Be careful.” Thus was born the legend of “Trespass Field” So in early summer,1962, the Detroit Polo Club, played the first game on our “Hurlingham” – Trespass Field. Yet again, after about 4 years the Club became itinerant for the next five years but kept on playing wherever a field couold be found.
Polo actually was easier in the winter because the Club’s newest and most dedicated member, Leo Couzens, built a beautiful covered arena for his son, Jack, himself and the Club. Playing year around aided recruiting amazingly and membership grew.
In 1972 the Detroit Polo Club acquired its first real home on Milford Road in Milford, Michigan, directly behind the high school. With two polo fields, an outdoor arena, clubhouse and a large barn with over 32 stalls, the club had finally found a home.
The Club prospered in Milford with full barns, excellent fields, high participation and a productive University Polo Program. The schedule had a variety of competition with 4, 6, 8 and 12-goal tournaments scheduled and high quality competition in residence. For instance the Australian International Team spent a full summer in Detroit with its horses after playing in the U.S. Open. But again the club would find itself looking for a new home.
In 1999, the club made a final move to the growing community of Hartland, MI. The beautiful 160 acre property boasts 2 regulation size fields and practice field, 60 stalls and over 50 acres of pasture, it is truly polo paradise.